Friday, July 23, 2010

Yummy Food | In Pursuit of Healthiness

In pursuit of healthiness I’ve made somewhat of an effort to make wiser food choices; although, half the time I revert back to my old ways, I must say that I’ve grown quite fond of whole wheat floor. *smiling* Not by itself, but as part of a recipe.

Last week I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies, and well, the recipe calls for all-purpose floor—so I rushed off to the grocery and gathered the necessary ingredients. Although I didn’t get around to making the cookies…don’t ask, I did whip up a batch of waffles using the all-purpose floor. And you know what? The waffles didn’t taste half as good as the batches made from whole wheat floor.

Moral of the story: Healthy food doesn’t have to taste bland.

Waffles:

1 ¾ cups whole wheat floor
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice (optional)
2 eggs
1 ¾ cups milk
½ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the dry stuff in one bowl and the wet stuff in another, then pour the dry into the wet, stir well, and cook with a waffle maker. Don’t have a waffle maker? Head over to a thrift shop, they always have them.

Tip: Your waffles are ready when you don’t see steam comin’ out the machine.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

VIDEO: STEVE EARLE, OXYCONTIN BLUES

No comments: